11 August 2008

How Apple blew it

After 10 days with the iPhone, I dropped by the Apple store on Regent Street over the weekend to take a one-hour workshop. I learned some really valuable tips that make it more usable. The store, as usual, was jam packed.

Best tip was how the auto complete works with text. Basically, just type away as fast as you like and it will almost always correct your typos caused from hitting an adjacent key. Also learned that by holding down on the text you've already created, you can magnify it and move the cursor exactly where you want it for editing.

Also learned that you can sync with both a PC and a Mac even if you're using Exchange. Since Exchange syncs over the air, there are no worries about corrupting your iCal or Address Book with contacts and appointments from your work calendar and contact list. AND, if you keep your music and photos on the Mac, like I do, you can also sync those to the iPod. I was completely surprised when I found out it worked this well.

But, on to the main topic. Beause Apple has done such a miserable job with MobileMe, and because you can dual sync, there is certainly a much diminished potential that new iPhone owners will run out and buy Macs. In fact, I'm even happier with my PC and I might just junk the Mac over time and get a home PC! I discovered, for instance, that you can create a separate home calendar in Outlook that will also sync. You can show it with your work calendar or separately. And, of course, this is all made possible because MobileMe doesn't work. I can't get it to sync anything outside of e-mail. Calendar, Contacts and Photos don't work properly. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. And, the app itself is flaky.

Apple is working on fixing MM, but in the meantime, they've made me feel right at home with my PC and Exchange mail.

No comments: