03 September 2010

Another technology milestone

There have been many since I bought my first PC (an IBM) in 1982. Or, perhaps I should date that to the Bomar digital calculator I bought from Sears a few years prior to that. They all have one common thread -- each has been completely amazingly fascinating in its own way. Yes, even the Bomar calculator with its glowing red LED numbers.
Today, I was at the Apple store and asked about the new Apple TV. This is something I've never been much interested in before. Just don't want more boxes, wires and complexity cluttering up my living room. They didn't have it in stock yet, but it got my curiosity up, so I checked out the "instant play" section of Netflix. My big discovery was that my relatively new Sony Bravia TV has this capability built in. So, I've now added Internet TV to my mix and the only gadget I needed was an inexpensive ethernet cable.
It took me all of about 10 minutes to set it up. First, I had to connect the TV to my router, an Apple Time Capsule. Then I had to register it on Netflix. Within literally seconds, my Instant Play que showed up on my TV screen. And, I was watching a PBS documentary within a few more seconds. 
I had no idea it would be this easy and that's a scary prospect for tradition suppliers of TV content. Even though we get hundreds of channels on our FIOS cable service, we are constantly looking for something interesting to watch. Netflix Instant Play may just have solved our problem. And it also may significantly diminish the number of DVDs we get from Netflix. DVDs are increasingly becoming a pain, mostly due to the poor quality of the disks. 
I can see myself paying a lot more attention to my Instant Play que than my DVD que. And you don't have to be a genius to also see where Netflix real future lies. 

Posted via email from CFH

No comments: