26 September 2011

Bose finally fixes Lifestyle 235 firmware

Almost a year ago, I bought a Bose Lifestyle 235 home theater system. I connected it to my DirecTV box, Blue-ray player, Sonos sound system and iPod. Everything worked fine with one big exception. I could not use an HDMI interface between my DirecTV box and the Bose console. It worked at first and then wouldn't work.

In frustration, I finally just gave up on the HDMI and after hours on the phone with Bose, connected the DirecTV box using bulky component cables and a very slim fiber optic audio cable. I still had an HDMI connecting the Bose and my TV. But, it was frustrating that I couldn't use HDMI for the whole setup.

Well, I was in the local Bose store today looking at a new SoundLink portable speaker Bose just introduced last week. I happened to mention that I had the 235 and that it worked fine with the exception of the HDMI issue. The salesman told me it had now been fixed.

Bose ships a USB thumb drive with the 235 to allow firmware upgrades. I did one right after I got it, but forgot about it after that. As it turns out, Bose finally figured out why the HDMI wasn't working and made the appropriate firmware upgrades to fix it. So, tonight, I came home, downloaded the upgrade and installed it. After a few bumps on the reset of the Bose unit, it now works with an HDMI cable. And, I swear, the picture and the sound are better.

Lucky I stopped into the Bose store and happened to mention the HDMI problem. Also great that Bose makes its products so they are user upgradable. So, I was able to eliminate some cabling and probably will get a smidgen better performance out of my entertainment equipment.

No comments: