30 December 2007

The French smoking ban

On Jan. 2, the ban on smoking in public places officially begins in France. There is much speculation that the French will ignore this law as they often do laws that inconvenience them.

England adopted the no smoking policy in its pubs and restaurants last summer and it is being obeyed and not noticeably affecting business. People still smoke, but it's less convenient. They have to take trips outside. So, when someone disappears you now have two guesses -- either out for a smoke or to the loo.

Since I'll be in Paris next week when the smoking ban goes into effect, I'll report back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Livros e Revistas, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://livros-e-revistas.blogspot.com. A hug.