07 May 2008

Breaking news

Boris Johnson, the recently elected mayor of London today issued his first new order since taking office at the first of the week. He is banning open alcohol containers and alcohol consumption on public transportation.

I was somewhat shocked when I came here and learned that it was fine to have a nip (or more) on the train. This has never been a problem for me (I don't mean it quite that way). I've never had any trouble with anyone abusing alcohol on the tube. However, one Saturday morning I did run into a couple of very loud and annoying East Europeans downing cans of beer on the tube.

I found it a bit like Las Vegas where you can drink just about anywhere. This really seems to make sense. Johnson, a Tory, is starting to put his more conservative stamp on London by issuing the ban on drinking from June 1.

No comments: