06 May 2008

What have we here?

When I stepped outside the office today to pick up a sandwich for lunch (at my favourite sandwich shop -- EAT) there was an electric car parked in front of the building. Now, I know what that post with the blue lights on top is for. It's where the car is plugged in.

This may be the first electric car I've ever seen. Small and orange, it's called the Mega City and has a price tag of £10,498, including batteries. It has a range of 40 miles and a top speed of 40mph, which would make it fine as a London commuter. You don't have to pay the dreaded congestion tax (£8 per day) or the road tax (vehicle registration tax), either, so it's even practical to drive into town. It even includes free parking in Westminster or the City. According to Nice's website, all this will save you £7,000 a year.

We've gotten on here for nearly two eyars without a car and we don't intend to get one now, but this is very tempting. I could even drive to work! I've been teasing L about what kind of car she's going to get when we return to the States. I may have to point her to the Mega City.

1 comment:

Bruce said...

Followed your link and then another. Learned that UK also has G-Wiz. Also know as Reva; made in Bangelore by Reva Electronic Car Co. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REVA
Neither the Reva/G-Wiz nor the Mega City is available in the U.S.